What is Counselling and how can it help?
Counselling provides an opportunity to talk over a concern or difficulty in confidence so that psychological and emotional pain can be resolved.
The counsellor will listen to you, help you to understand your feelings and explore ways of making changes. You may find it helpful to look at how past experiences can affect present attitudes and responses. You will be encouraged to take an honest look at your life and how you relate to others.
Practical exercises e.g. relaxation and stress management,
self-awareness, communication, anger management or assertiveness skills will help you feel more
relaxed, in control and able to cope. The Rewind Technique safely reduces the impact of traumatic events.
You can also explore creative techniques: writing, drawing, visualisations, dreams, etc.
The counsellor does not, as a rule, give advice but will help
you to make your own decisions. Please feel free to contact me for more information.
I also do workshops and give talks.
Counselling can help with:
• stress, anxiety, depression
• PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
• addictions or eating disorders
• illness and/or disability
• bereavement, miscarriage, infertility
• bullying, work stress, assault, abuse
• family and relationships
• life changes: marriage, children, moving house, the menopause, legal & financial problems,
divorce, redundancy, retirement, mid-life crisis, caring for others
• self-confidence and self-esteem
• personal growth
• problem-solving & creativity
As a humanistic counsellor, I respect each person as a unique being with skills, responsibilities & choices. Setbacks can be opportunities for understanding & doing things differently. Our close relationships are often complicated. We need to feel safe, loved and that we matter.
I draw from a variety of approaches: person centred, psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioural (CBT/REBT), existential with a holistic focus (body, mind, spirit). I work in either a time-limited way usually 6-12 sessions or for longer as needed. Sessions last 1 hour and are weekly to begin with.
Counselling is not for everyone. A client needs to be
• able to communicate and be willing to reveal personal information
• have a capacity for reflection and motivation for change
• be committed to attending regular appointments